Welcome to the #1 Mazda CX3 Forum and Mazda CX3 community dedicated to Mazda CX3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Mazda CX3 Forum today!

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT AWD

Reactions

The CX-3 exists to move about adventurous (usually) young people toting small luggage and maybe a dog. They are urban dwellers. Space in their world is finite and valuable. Potholes seem infinite. They admire bang-for-their-buck buys. They appreciate fuel efficiency, safety, and provocative design. It so happens that I am of this exact ilk. I understand the needs, gripes, and desires of such a city-living customer, which is why I am looking forward to spending a lot of time driving one of the best vehicles of its class. (It placed second in our Subcompact Crossover Big Test.)

Our little 146-horsepower, all-wheel drive CX-3?shall I call it Trizzy, a play on three??came with amenities galore. As it is the Grand Touring grade (base price: $27,120), the highest grade of them all, it has adaptive LED front headlights, heated power exterior mirrors, a rear roof spoiler, and 18-inch aluminum wheels. The comfortable cabin greets digits with leather-covered surfaces (steering wheel, gearshift, handbrake, dash) and bums with sporty, supportive bucket seats (also wrapped in leather and suede). It has a pop-up head-up display, navigation (officially a no-charge option), and a 7-inch touchscreen to keep drivers on course. Bose?s seven-speaker audio system with Bluetooth blasts clear, loud tunes from SiriusXM, HD Radio, and portable audio sources. It also has a high-resolution rearview camera, rear cross-traffic alert, and blind-spot monitoring. That?s all standard, remember.

The option list is puny yet generous. The Mazda Mobile Start ($550; code: MMS) allows owners to unlock/lock doors, start the engine, sound the panic alarm, or find the car via their mobile phone. An option group called GT I-Activesense package ($1,920; 1AT) bundles Mazda?s latest radar-based cruise control, a front collision prevention system, rain-sensing wipers, auto headlights, auto high-beam control, and lane departure warning. And I can?t forget about the useful rear bumper guard ($100; RBG).

The CX-3 drives as well as it looks. Body roll is minimal. And its six-speed automatic snaps shifts hastily, though you?ll need to prod the 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G four-cylinder quite a bit to get the 2,997-pound mass up to speed. Sixty miles per hour from a standstill takes 8.4 seconds; a quarter mile comes in a not-so-quick 16.4 seconds while traveling at a max of 83.9 mph. Steering wheel-mounted paddles and a Sport mode ratchet up sportiness. The former is great for quickly culling momentum with brief episodes of downshift engine braking.

2016 Mazda CX-3 GT AWD
  • BASE PRICE $27,120
  • PRICE AS TESTED $29,990
  • VEHICLE LAYOUT Front-engine, AWD, 5-pass, 4-door SUV
  • ENGINE 2.0L/146-hp/146-lb-ft DOHC 16-valve I-4
  • TRANSMISSION 6-speed automatic
  • CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 2,997 lb (59/41%)
  • WHEELBASE 101.2 in
  • LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 168.3 x 69.6 x 60.9 in
  • 0-60 MPH 8.4 sec
  • QUARTER MILE 16.4 sec @ 83.9 mph
  • BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 118 ft
  • LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.84 g (avg)
  • MT FIGURE EIGHT 27.6 sec @ 0.60 g (avg)
  • EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 27/32/29 mpg
  • ENERGY CONS, CITY/HWY 125/105 kW-hrs/100 miles
  • CO2 EMISSIONS, COMB 0.67 lb/mile

Written By Motor Trend Staff
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-mazda-cx-3-gt-awd-long-term-arrival-review/